Facelift Ann Arbor
- Sagging of the mid- and lower face and neck
- Loss of skin elasticity and muscle tone of the face and neck
- Appearance of jowls and deep creases between the base of the nose and the corners of the mouth
- Lack of youthful chin and neck contours and tired facial appearance
- A facelift helps give a more rested, youthful-looking contour of the face and neck
Facelifts vary in extent, depending on the location and skin laxity. All facelifts are done on an outpatient basis under sedation with local anesthesia. If there is loose skin in the lower face or neck, incisions behind or in front of the ears may be necessary.
Incisions are made in the hairline (or along the hair margin) above the ear, extending down around the earlobe and extending in or below the hairline behind the ear. The neck muscles are tightened, the facial skin is redraped and lifted, and the excess skin is removed.
Additional procedures that may enhance the result:
- Forehead lift
- Eyelid lift
- Lip enlargement
- Chin enlargement
- Neck contouring
- Fat grafting
- Skin resurfacing
- Dermal fillers
- Corrective skin care treatents, including microdermabrasion, facial peels and DermaSound PlusTM
Recuperation And Healing
With a facelift, the patient goes home with the head and neck wrapped in dressings, which are usually removed the next day. Initial discomfort is usually controlled with oral medication. Sutures are removed within 7 to 14 days. Bruising and swelling decrease to socially acceptable levels in 10 to 20 days, but can last 2 to 3 months or longer. Camouflage makeup is available to temporarily conceal any redness or bruising once the sutures have been removed.
Onsite therapeutic massage can increase tissue mobility, reduce swelling and enhance overall comfort.
Improvement is evident in 4 to 6 weeks or sooner, with continued improvement over several months.
Read more about plastic surgery recovery time here.
Facelifts are considered cosmetic procedures and are not covered by insurance. The patient is responsible for payment.